Well, I probably shouldn't do this, but I've started another Blog. Like I don't already spend too much time at the MacBook. As some of you might have guessed, I like to cook and I love to eat. So I thought I'd share my recipes, humble as they may be and a look at "What's for Dinner at Our House." The plan is to be discovered by the Food Network for my cooking show, which hubby has titled: "Cranky Franky's in the Kitchen".
Am I ready for critics? Probably not. I know my instructions are not always clear or precise. Let me know if something doesn't make sense. Anyhow, if you're interested, check out "Dinner's Ready"
COMMENTS APPRECIATED

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Schiacciata Siciliana - Spinach Pie

NOTE: I am not sure where the term "Schiacciata" comes from as it means "crushed" (schiacciare - to crush). I've also seen recipes on line where it is spelled "scacciata" which sounds more like the Sicilian word, but is not in my Italian dictionary.
I like to make dough.

Bread dough fascinates me.

But I am not a patient person, nor am I one to plan three days in advance to make a loaf of bread, which the "experts" require in their recipes.  See The Bread Baker's Apprentice and Crust and Crumb, by Peter Reinhart.

All of his artisan, crusty breads require a starter made two or three days in advance and an overnight in the fridge for the final dough.  Jeez, I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow morning, let alone three days from now.  I've been waiting for a big grant writing project to come along.  I was supposed to hear on Monday but I'm thinking the meeting they had at the agency on Friday did not result in a decision, so I have no work this week.  But I digress...

I like the "direct method" of bread making.  That's a technical term for "make your dough today AND eat your bread TODAY".  I've been experimenting with a wetter, softer dough - a little less flour in the water.  And it seems to be producing a good product.  Not superior, but with a nice crust and chewy interior.  I'd prefer a thicker, crunchy crust, so will keep trying.

A good hot oven with an oven hearth, supposedly makes the best bread.  I have to make do with my 10-year-old Kenmore stove from the Sears Dent-and-Scratch Store.  It has served us well, and, god knows, we are not starving.

I don't even bother to always "proof" the yeast according to the rules.  Two coffee mugs of warm water, about one and a half packets of dry yeast, a cup of flour.  It foams up after a few minutes.
Add a teaspoon or so of salt. One cup whole wheat flour and about 3 and a half cups more of unbleached, all purpose or bread flour added a little at a time and beaten with a wooden spoon into a batter-like mass.  As you add flour you may have to use your hands.  You'll get a dough that is sticky but pulls away from the bowl.  Cover and let rise for about 2 hours.

(EDIT 2/11/2020: I have changed my method somewhat, or I should say, I use variations on this bread dough recipe. I often use just King Arthur Bread Flour and only occasionally add whole wheat; I have come to understand that using less yeast (about a teaspoon or two for thee full coffee mugs of water) will work, especially if you let the dough rise in the fridge over night. The more yeast, the faster the rise I think, but the texture and taste is diminished)
I cooked up some mushrooms in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, added a bag and a half of washed spinach and let the spinach wilt.  Then drain and squeeze out the extra liquid.
Meanwhile, your dough will have doubled - I WISH MY DOUGH ($) WOULD DOUBLE!
You can punch it down and let it rise again if you are not ready to use it - it can go in the fridge if you need more time.  Then, divide into two or three pieces and shape as you like.  This can be pizza or focaccia too.
For spinach pie, put the spinach on half the round, put cooked Italian sausage on top and fold the pizza over like a turnover.
The sausage bread is similar but long instead of round.
Fold over the pie and roll over the bread
Seal the edges with your fingers
Bake at 500 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Bake the bread for slightly less time.
Critique: Good, but still want a crustier crust and a more airy texture.  By the way schiacciata is pronounced  "Ski-ah-chaht-a".  Variations: Add cooked potato sliced and seasoned with salt and pepper;  broccoli and sausage;  ricotta cheese with a little salt, pepper, nutmeg;  ricotta and spinach; etc....
Dinner's Ready!

5 comments:

Frank said...

Hi there...Love it!
I was googling Spinach Pie because I wanted to make one, and found your blog. My mother used to make these all the time growing up (I'm 64 now). She called them schiacciatedda...or some such spelling (but all the syllables are there). Thanks for the post.

Frank said...

Hope your spinach pie was delicious!

Anonymous said...

mine was awesome. tried variants with potato slices, sausage, salt & pepper. also broccoli and garlic and onions and a little spaghetti sauce. i also did the same but with cauliflower instead of broccoli and then kale and collard greens instead of spinach. can't wait to do red cabbage next!!

Frank said...

Traditional variations as I mentioned, include spinach and potato - saute potato slices with a little chopped onion first, then put over the prepared, cooked spinach and bake. With ricotta, the pie is often called 'calzone' 'big pants'.

Anonymous said...

My Mom made spinach, broccoli, potatoes,sausage, peppers and onions all the time. It was so delicious, her mom, my grandma came from Sicily. I made it all the time as well, until I was diagnosed with celiac’s disease. I did make it gluten free a few times, I’m 69. Thanks for sharing, I want to share this with my younger sisters.